Case study: Coorparoo
The owner was turning this space into a showroom for her business and wanted a functional but impressive floor to showcase her products.
This floor was old with a concrete topping, built in the 1960s. Issues included chunks in the slab, and loose 75mm pieces scattered across an area around 4sqm.
The builder advised that this area would be dug out and new concrete to 75mm would be laid to unify with the rest of the floor. When the work was completed and the floor ready for us, we discovered that the concrete went from 20mm at one end to 75mm at the other. This can have its own set of effects due to the thickness (not being thick enough at 20mm) and also the ability for the floor to cure effectively at different thicknesses.
After grinding the floor and patching many areas, the next day we discovered that small sections of the patching had delaminated. We needed to determine why this happened in some parts and not others before continuing.
We re-patched the floor and were pleased that the second round of patching worked and stayed stuck, allowing us to continue with priming, coating and finishing off the epoxy floor.
The ultimate outcome was a successful floor finish that the owner was happy with.
We continued to follow up with various local and international epoxy connections to try to determine what may have caused the patching delamination issues. Suggestion included
- Floor contamination
- Coating outside of the re-coat window (this means that applying further coats must be done with a certain period of time before the ability to successfully recoat is closed off and additional preparation is required)
- Product defects
- Previous and known concrete issues
Although we never did determine the definitive reason behind why only some of the patching failed, we continue to record our work and analyse issues as they arise, so that as we are faced with new issues, we have a knowledge bank to refer to.